Epic Games is a launcher that has a vast range of games including Fortnite, Rocket League, and Fall Guys. The launcher is known for providing free games every week for a limited time. Moreover, once you claim a game, you can download it whenever you want, and it is yours as long as you have your Epic Games account. However, sometimes you might face some errors such as ‘Socket OpenError’ which will not let you play or launch any game on Epic Games.
Most of the errors have an easy fix if you know how your computer system works as the fix requires you to open certain files and settings to get rid of them. In this guide, we will explain step by step how to fix the socket error of Epic Games, so you get done with it in no time and continue with your gaming.
What Is Socket OpenError
Before we get to the fix, let’s understand what it is and how the error appears so you may avoid it in the future. When two programs are running on a network, a socket creates two-way communication between them. When you are making a connection request on the port and server’s machine then the FTP server responds to the socket.
If the connection request is accepted by the server, then you can communicate with the server if your connection is accepted successfully. However, if there is no response either from your end or the server, a socket open error might occur.
7 Ways To Fix Socket Open Error On Epic Games
Now that you know the nature of the socket open error. You can see that socket open error on Epic Games does not come from a single source of error. Rather, there can be a different reason that caused this error to occur in the first place. Therefore, there are different methods mentioned in the guide so if one does not work, try the other one.
Fix 1: Server Status of Epic Games
This is the simplest fix; however, it can only occur when Epic Games is offline for its maintenance which happens at regular intervals. If it shows all four options as operational then it means that the server status of Epic Games is online and running. You can also check Epic Store’s Twitter account to see if there is an update or maintenance break scheduled.
Fix 2: Run as Administrator
Go to your desktop and right-click on the Epic Games icon which will show you a ‘run as administrator option. Click on that option and see if the Socket Open Error is gone. This fix skips the User Access Control (UAC) so you can bypass the restrictions set by it. It will also remove the socket open error on Epic Games.
Fix 3: Changing DNS Addresses
The internet service providers provide all their clients with a default DNS address which most players use while gaming. DNS also has servers; just like a game server goes down, a DNS server can also go down resulting in errors. You can change your DNS to a more commercial and available one such as Open DNS and Google. Login into Epic Games after doing it.
Also read: FIXED: Fall Guys Invite Not Working – PS4, PS5 & PC
How to Change DNS Address
If you are not a computer geek, then simply follow these steps.
- Open Control Panel and click on Network and Internet.
- Click on Network and Sharing Center.
- When it opens, click on Change Adapter Settings which will be on the left.
- Simply choose the network you want to configure
- Select the Networking Tab. Under “This connection uses the following items” you will see Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Click on the properties.
- Click on advance and then click on the DNS tab. If you see any IP address written over there, write that down so you can keep it as a backup. Remove it from the window after it.
- Click OK.
- Then click on “Use the following DNS server addresses.” Like step 6 if you find an IP address listed in the Preferred DNS Server or Alternate DNS server then write it down as a backup.
- Replace the IP addresses with these Google DNS Servers:
- IPv4: 188.8.131.52 and/or 184.108.40.206.
- IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844.
- IPv6-only: you can use Google Public DNS64 instead of the IPv6 addresses in the previous point.
Fix 4: Alternate Connection
If you have another internet device at home, then use it to see if the problem is with your internet server or the Epic Games’ server. If you don’t have another internet connection, then you can also use your mobile phone’s hotspot. If the launcher is working fine on an alternate connection then the issue is with your internet server, contact your internet service provider to fix the issue.
While you’re at it, consider reading: How To Fix Cities Skylines Not Enough Workers
Fix 5: Restart Router
It might sound simple but sometimes the servers are working fine, and you need to troubleshoot your network. By restarting your router, your connection will troubleshoot quickly as it will restart the route to your internet service provider (ISP) which will do the same with your connection to the Epic Games’ server.
Fix 6: Allowing Epic Games through Firewall
Sometimes it is neither Epic Games’ server nor your internet service provider causing the socket open error. Rather, it is your windows firewall. If that is the case, you need to add Epic Games to the exceptions list to allow it through the firewall.
If you don’t know how to allow Epic Games through the firewall, then follow these simple steps:
- Open Windows Security through a simple search or by windows tray.
- Click on Firewall & network protection.
- Click on the Allow an app through the firewall option.
- Click on change settings which will be on the top right.
- The applications and features that you will see are the allowed apps and features. Search UnrealEngineLauncherProxy in the list.
- If you can’t find UnrealEngineLauncherProxy in the list then click on Allow another app.
- Upon clicking it, another window will open where you will have to click on Browse.
- Select Epic Games Launcher and then simply click on the add option.
- Once the Epic Games Launcher is added, click on private and public options which will be next to UnrealEngineLauncherProxy which will be in the Allowed applications window.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Fix 7: Creating Xbox Account
If the error is occurring when you are using Xbox, use this method to fix the issue while signing into Epic Games. If you already have an account on Xbox, then check the credentials again.
If you have a Microsoft account, open Xbox Website. Once you log in, it will ask you to create an Xbox profile. It will also show you the instructions to create a profile, simply follow those steps.
All in all, it can be difficult to properly diagnose what is causing the Epic Games Socket Error on Epic Games. However, we recommend you try quick fixes mentioned in the guide first such as using run as administrator and alternate connection. If they don’t work out, then go for the bigger fixes such as firewall and DNS server.
Epic Games is currently offering Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Iratus: Lord of the Dead, and Geneforge 1: Mutagen till July 7, 2022. If you want to play Killing Floor 2 and Ancient Enemy then wait for July 7, 2022, as they will be available until July 14, 2022.
That is all from our side, this guide will fix your socket open error in no time on Epic Games so you can continue with your gaming.
Next: Overwatch 2 Beta Login Error [FIXED]