— Toronto Raptors (@Raptors) July 14, 2022
A native of Brooklyn, New York, champagne also appeared in 14 regular season games with Raptors 905 in the NBA G League. He averaged 21.1 points, 8.3 rebounds and 36.0 minutes, while shooting .489 (109-223) from the floor. champagne scored 20+ points eight times with the 905, including a season-best 45 points March 25 at Wisconsin, and recorded five double-doubles.
Champagnie signed a two-way contract with the Raptors last summer after playing two collegiate seasons at Pitt (2019-21) where he became the first player in school history to lead the Panthers in scoring as both a freshman and sophomore.
Champagnie filled the stat sheet as a sophomore finishing second in the league in scoring (18.0 ppg.) and first in rebounds (11.1 rpg.), while becoming the first Pitt player to earn First Team All-ACC accolades. He also etched his name in the Pitt record books next to Panther legends Don Hennon, Billy Knight, Larry Harris, Sam ClancyClyde Vaughan, Charles Smith, Sam Young and DeJuan Blair.
He burst onto the national scene with a 20-point, 20-rebound game at Northwestern Dec. 9, joining NBA elites Tim Duncan, Kevin Durant and Ben Simmons as the only major conference players in the past 25 seasons with a 20/20 game while playing all 40 minutes.
CHAMPAGNIE HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE 2020-21 SEASON
- Scored in double figures in all 20 games played to join Clyde Vaughan (1983), Larry Harris (1976-78), Billy Knight (1974) and Don Hennon (1958) as the only players in program history to score 10 or more points in every game played in a season.
- Became the first Panther to average a double-double for the season since DeJuan Blair (2008-09) and the first player to average better than 18 points and 10 rebounds per game since Billy Knight (1973-74).
- Was one of four players in the country and the only major conference player averaging 18+ points and 10+ rebounds per game. He was also the only major conference player averaging a double-double.
- Ranked in the top 10 among active ACC players in offensive rebounds (3.35 orpg. – 2nd), defensive rebounds (7.70 drpg. – 1st), double-doubles (13 – 1st), field goal percentage (.477 – 9th), free throw percentage (.711 – 11th), blocks (1.16 bpg. – 10th) and minutes played (34.34 – 10th).
- Set a school record for most rebounds in a two-game span with 41 boards in wins over Gardner-Webb (21) and Northwestern (20).
- Recorded 31 points, 14 rebounds and five blocked shots in a home win over Duke to become the first player in program history to record 30+ points, 10+ rebounds and 5+ blocks in a game. Champagnie’s 30/10 game against Duke was the 28th such game in program history and the first since Sam Young tallied 31 points and 10 rebounds against Connecticut March, 7, 2009.
- Scored 24 points and grabbed 16 rebounds in a home win over Syracuse after missing the previous two games with a knee injury suffered in practice on Dec. 20.
- Became the only ACC player since 1970 to record consecutive 20/20 games with a 24-point, 21-rebound effort against Gardner-Webb. He joined Caleb Swanigan (Purdue) and Blake Griffin (Oklahoma) as the only players in the NCAA in the past 25 years with consecutive 20/20 games.
- Recorded the first 20/20 game by a Pitt player since the 2008-09 season with 20 points and 20 rebounds in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge win over Northwestern.
- Placed himself among elite company at Pitt through his first two seasons becoming one of just five players in program history to record over 700 points and 400 rebounds through their sophomore season.
- Became the first player in program history to lead the team in scoring as a freshman and as a sophomore and joined Sam Clancy and DeJuan Blair as the only Panthers to lead the team in rebounding in their freshman and sophomore seasons.
- Became just the fifth player in program history to lead the team in scoring and rebounds in consecutive seasons.
- One of six ACC players in the ACC since 1970 to record two or more 20/20 games in a season. Tim Duncan (Wake Forest) was the last ACC player to accomplish the feat during the 1996-97 season.
- Became the first ACC player to record consecutive 20/20 games since Tom Burleson (NC State) during the 1971-72 season.
2020-21 Honors & Awards
AP Honorable Mention All-America
Dick Vitale/ESPN Second Team All-America
USBWA All-District II
NABC First Team All District
Basketball Times All-District (Northeast)
First Team All-ACC
Karl Malone Award Finalist
Naismith Trophy Midseason Team
Wooden Award Late Season Top 20 Watch List
Naismith Defensive POTY Watch List
Dick Vitale Midseason First Team All-America
ACC Player of the Week (Jan. 25)
ACC Co-Player of the Week (Jan. 18)
ACC Player of the Week (Dec. 14)
Dick Vitale/ESPN National Player of the Week (Dec. 14)
College Sports Madness ACC & National POTW (Dec. 14)